Thursday 9 January 2014

Burda Tunic Dress 124 11/13

This is a simple Tunic style dress from Burda. I buy the magazine each month. Not sure why but I don't tend to actually do anything with it, I just leave them all over the house. I like it when someone picks one up for a browse and makes 2 pages before realising that it isn't quite Tatler.

Anyway I have been thinking about buying the Laurel pattern, but why when here is something similar for free. (it was free if I found it under the sofa, right?).
The pattern is super easy, most difficult thing is tracing the bits onto oven paper.


It is rather shapeless. not sure why I am surprised by that because it looks shapeless in the picture and the line drawing. never the less I am surprised as ever that shapeless doesn't look good on me (maybe I am too broad in the shoulders for it?)..... I always like the concept more than the execution on these shift dresses. Actually in the latest copy of Burda there is another shift which I want to trace....I just like the simplicity of the shape, and mild self torture.

The benefit of a shapeless dress is that you can eat as much food as you like and still not feel the groan of a seam. Which is what I did on Christmas day in this very dress.

The fabric is a stretch denim with gold lame running through it. I think it is lovely and I will buy more when I go back to fabworks in Dewsbury if indeed they have any left. I should have really used its stretch to make something more form fitting. In fact this tunic could maybe have benefited from a fabric with less drape to help hold that square shape.

The seams are just finished with a zig zag - still no overlocker in my Christmas stocking, worse luck. They are still quite tatty, I would have preferred to use seam binding I think but I didn't have any and wanted the dress NOW.
 

The neckline is nice, I left off the hook because I like how low it is, you need a bit of a flash when no one can see your waist.

I enjoyed making it and the facing made sense even with Burda instructions.


The chickens are a recent addition to the garden. They love me. They maybe also like the bread I give them for a treat....The one I am cuddling is called Red, she likes worms and pecking at the drain.
They have a very dry coop, hence the crap pictures, taken out of the rain, in poor light!

No comments:

Post a Comment